Monday, 8 September 2014

Does Amnesia Matter?

In the America sci-fi Stargate SG1 episode called Memento Mori, Vala is kidnapped by a group who want access to some of her memories.  While her colleagues are rescuing Vala, the memory machine that Vala is connected to ends up wiping out all her memories.  As she no longer remembers who she is and what her job is, she can't contact anyone who knows her. Her only choice is to go on the run.

To make ends meet, Vala gets a job at a restaurant.  Although she's happy enough in her job, she instinctively knows the job is not right for her and that she's meant to be doing something else. One day, when two men try to rob the restaurant, Vala takes them down by hand to hand combat, but she can't explain how she's able to do this. To cut a long story short, Vala is eventually reunited with her colleagues at SG1 who help restore her memories.

What I find interesting about Vala's experience is she doesn't remember who she is and yet she remembers her function i.e. what she's been trained to do; and that training enables her to take down the two criminals at the restaurant.

I believe Vala's amnesia is rather like the amnesia most of us have while we are experiencing life as humans. We don't remember who we are, where we come from or why we are here, and yet, instinctively, we find ourselves drawn to certain people, career paths and lifestyles.  It doesn't matter what your programming is, something inside tells you that you're meant to be doing something different.

I didn't remember who I was and where I came from but I've always known that what my family and society wanted for me wasn't right for me. I knew I was here to do something else.

Am I now doing what I am here to do?

I believe I am.  I have been instinctively following the blueprint or plan that was designed for me before I took this form.  It is this Plan that is guiding me every step of the way, and helping me meet the right people I'm meant to meet.

Speaking of meeting the right people, this morning I thought of an old friend I haven't seen in a while and wondered how she was.  I ended up meeting her at the bus stop.  It turns out, she and her husband were waiting for the same bus as me and we travelled together. During our journey, my friend and I discussed a topic I had been thinking of earlier.  It was confirmation that we were meant to meet up today.  

Amnesia doesn't really matter. Whatever I'm meant to do, I will do; and whoever I'm meant to meet, I will meet.

Enocia