Saturday, 9 August 2014

On Being a Back Seat Driver

At the start of my cab journey home, the cab driver was busy chatting on his mobile phone. I asked him to switch the phone as I didn't want him chatting and driving. I said I wouldn't have minded if it was a hands-free set.  He apologised and thanked me for reminding him not to chat on his mobile while he's working.

When we arrived at a particular junction, instead of turning right, he went left.

"Where are you going?" I said.

Again he apologised. Fortunately, there was a space in the road where he quickly turned round. He thanked me for alerting him just in time or he would have had to go all the way round. He said he was busy thinking of picking up his next passenger. I told him he needed to drop me off first before he went to his next customer.

Sometimes, you just have to be a back seat driver.

Enocia

Related article: Angels Watching Over Me; Are You a Backseat Driver?