Saturday, 9 August 2014

Fascinating!

Photo of Spock from a Star Trek Episode taken by Enocia
"Thoughts are your guests. They have made a lodging house of your mind. It is wrong to think of them as yours; and this same mistake comes in the way of getting rid of them. If you identify as yours, you stand in the way of their exit. And the thoughts which are your temporary guests become permanent lodgers. By looking at thoughts impersonally, you sever connection with them." ~~ Osho
In the America science fiction TV series, Star Trek: the Original Series, one of the lead characters is called Spock and he is half-human and half-Vulcan.  Spock doesn't react to things like his human counterparts; he usually finds lots of things fascinating.

I can relate to Spock's reactions as I tend to see a lot of things from the observer position, even those that are causing me pain.  In that way, I'm able to detach from the experience and observe whatever the experience is trying to reveal. 

For instance, while I was at the library working on the computer, I suddenly felt this pressure inside the left side of my head and my right hand went limp and I could no longer type.   I thought to myself: "How fascinating that I can't move my hand!"  

When I used to have persistent migraines, before the actual headache, I used to lose the faculty of reasoning and what makes things meaningful. I also used to have temporary amnesia and didn't even know who my mother was. Again, I wasn't bothered, I just found the experience fascinating. I always knew I would soon return to normal anyway, which I always did.

Back to my hand, after about a minute, I was able to move my hand again. I decided to leave. As I was walking to the bus stop, I felt a bit disoriented but I wasn't concerned in the slightest. I was fascinated by the whole experience. I waited for my bus and my bus soon arrived. During my bus journey, I checked my emails on my phone. By then I was feeling back to normal.

I believe all experiences are thoughts passing through my consciousness.  I can choose whether to observe them and watch them pass or react and take them personally. I find it's a lot more fun to see them as fascinating.

Enocia

Related articles: Love is Always Present; When You Believe in Yourself, You Move at Your Own Pace: My Stuff or Yours?Cause and Effect; The Observer; The Power of Amnesia