Wednesday, 30 July 2014

The Ebola Virus and the Spirit of Fear

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities,  against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces in the heavenly realms." ~~ Ephesians 6:12
I see the Ebola virus has finally made it into the mainstream news.
 
I've been aware of the Ebola virus for months as I have relatives in Sierra Leone, one of the countries where the virus has been spreading. The moment someone died in Nigeria, it started getting more attention.
 
I believe it's not the Ebola virus that is the problem but the fear of it. It is the spirit of fear that spreads any virus. 
 
What do I mean by spirit?
 
Everything is sustained by spirit.  If, like me, you've ever had an out of body experience caused by trauma or illness, you'll know what it feels like to be spirit while your physical body is immobile.  When someone is dying and the spirit leaves their body, it's as good as dead. It doesn't matter how hard the doctors work at keeping your body alive, once the spirit is out, death is inevitable as the body cannot sustain itself.
 
Fear is another form of spirit.  Those who are metaphysically minded might argue that fear is nothing.  And yet, that "nothing" is responsible for a lot of the havoc being created in the world. When fear possesses a person, for example, the person will not only perform acts based on fear, their body will manifest diseases or be susceptible to diseases.
 
A few months back, I had a cold that developed into a persistent cough. As I don't take medication, I kept affirming my wholeness. I would get better and within a few days, it was back in full force. At one point I even got dizzy but I quickly dissolved the dizziness with prayer.  After a couple of weeks of coughing, I asked a friend, who is a Christian Science practitioner, for help.  (Christian Science practitioners work with Truth principles to treat all kinds of conditions including diseases).  My friend shared one treatment that works for him for the belief in flu is to see the flu as a demon to be denied, rebuked and cast out.  He also shared some Truth principles for me to consider.  This one caught my attention:
"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." ~~ 2 Timothy 1: 7
It was then I realised why I couldn't get rid of the cold and cough because I still had a fear of catching a cold. There's no point dismissing the cold as a belief when deep inside I'm still fearful of catching it.  I recognised I had the spirit of fear of cold in me which had to be cast out.   Once I had that realisation, I quickly got better as there was no longer the fear in me to sustain the cold. 
 
A week later, I started experiencing symptoms of a migraine which I used to suffer from. I reminded myself that I don't have any fear of headaches and acknowledged God's presence with gratitude.  Although I felt a twinge of headache, it was quickly dissolved into nothing.
 
A week after that, while I was using the computers in the library, a woman sat in front of me coughing and sneezing. I stayed put and reminded myself that I have no fear of colds and that only love is contagious. After a few minutes, the woman left. 
 
Soon after, I got chatting to an assistant at my local supermarket. When I asked her how she was doing, she told me she'd had a cold and cough for weeks that she couldn't get rid of.  She said she even started suffering from dizzy spells. When she went to her doctor, she was told that the virus had infected her ears causing her to feel dizzy.  The doctor gave her antibiotics to clear the infection.  I told her I had experienced something similar but I had dealt with it in a different way.
 
Back to the Ebola virus, I believe the battle is not with the virus (flesh and blood) but in the mind (spiritual forces in the heavenly realms). In other words, it is how people react to the virus that will determine whether it becomes an epidemic or not.  I believe when you cast out the spirit of fear of the virus in your mind, you will not be susceptible to it. I also believe as the fear of the virus is cast out of the collective consciousness, it will either cease to exist or scientists will quickly discover a cure that gets rid of the virus.
 
How do you cast out the spirit of fear?
 
What works for me is repeating affirmations such as:
 
"Perfect love casts out fear."  (1 John 4: 18)
"Love melts situations that seem impossible." ~~ Catherine Ponder
Love is all there is.
Love dissolves fear.
 
What happens is Love does the work of dissolving the fear. 
 
Just like we take baths and showers to keep our bodies clean, it is important to do the same with our minds.  Keep renewing your mind with prayer, affirmations, meditation or whatever spiritual practice works for the individual.
 
Love casts out fear of viruses including Ebola.
 
Enocia